Were you a Nintendo house growing up?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Oi oi saveloy!

I've spent pretty much all morning listening to NES/SNES/N64 music, and I was just thinking how my house was a Nintendo house when I was a kid. My dad got me my first NES in about 1992, then we progressed to a SNES a few years on, then an N64 when I was like...9? I remember playing South Park 64 on Xmas day.

We had computers growing up too, but games wise we were typically Nintendo growing up, until I got a Playstation to play FF9

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Console wise yes but my house was Microsoft PC first. My dad liked games and liked PCs (which he needed for work) so while I had an NES and a SNES we spent more time playing PC games and had more of them. Which in the 80s and 90s were kind of a mixed bag. There were good PC games in the 80s but honestly at least until later in the decade other computer platforms had better game options. But Microsoft was my dad's work PC so that's what we had. Plenty of flight sims, early CRPGs, and Sierra games.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chamurai

Yep, Nintendo boi here. Had a Famicom and got an SNES with my birthday/New Year's money in '93. You could just break off the little protrusions in the slot so you can play Super Famicom games too! Got a US N64 in '96 for the same reason. Around the same time I got a Game Boy(was pretty late to the game on that one). But after that I got a Playstation and was 100% Sony until the Wii came out so no Gamecube or Game Boy Advance.

Edit: I guess I should clarify since the thread is asking about households. I was basically "The household" when it came to video games. While my parents purchased the Famicom, I was the only one who used it in any capacity and any other console afterwards was mostly purchased by me.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shindig

Ours was a mainly a computer household. Vic-20, Amstrad CPC, Amiga and then a 486. Didn't get my first console til I was 14. Although by then I also had an Atari clone that made little impression on me.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#5 AV_Gamer  Online

The very first console I started playing video games on was the original NES with the robot and lighting gun, and the Duck Hunt and Geromite games. If it wasn't for me loving video games from that moment onward, I wouldn't be here commenting right now. I actually had a Coleco Vision, but it was broke before I ever got the chance to play it

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, i had SNES and an N64 but spent most of my time on Mega Drive, PS1/2 and PC.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep, same as OP- NES to SNES to N64 (childhood/teens), then mostly PC until later years.

strangely enough i don't have much nostalgia or attachment to those consoles, but i'm also not very nostalgic in general. Switch was my first Nintendo console since N64, so it's been interesting to have a catch-up.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

My dads NES -> Dad's SNES -> PS1 -> Gamecube/Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Became adult = PS4/Switch -> Switch/XSX/PS5

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm a Sega kid. Never had a NES or SNES.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

No, we were spoilt and had pretty much everything.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I only had an OG Gameboy as a kid, but still kinda feel like I grew up with Nintendo. Would play NES/SNES/N64 at friends houses, and would swap a friend's N64 for our PlayStation once in a while. Wasn't until young-adulthood when the Gamecube came out that I consistently got Nintendo consoles.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

At first we had an Atari 520ST with the power pack. A collection of 24 games which included a few Sega titles.

After that we got a MS2 and megadrive before getting PS1 and PS2.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By styx971

not particularly.. my sister had an nes when i was really little , shes 6 years older than me tho so i rarely was allowed to touch it , what little i did play on one was when i visited my dad some years removed . i personally was a genesis kid , my mother's bf who moved in with us had one and cause of how often i'd play sonic spinball ( one of his few games) i got my own for my 6th birthday , it was all i had till i got a n64 around when the og xbox released .. i did have a gameboy sometime before that , and not toooo long after that i got up to date with a gba , xbox,n gamecube then ps2 . so idk its not that they weren't around or anything but the core of my cognitize-10 years were mainly sega fueled if not pc

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

It was a diverse house though I did focus on the SNES and GB for 2-3 years in the early-mid '90s.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega Drive (and PC) here. Despite Sega apparently dominating over in Europe, I’m pretty sure that everyone else that I knew had a Nes/Snes, so I never traded games with my buddies and only ever rented them.

Switch is the only Nintendo console I’ve ever owned (excluding Mini Snes), which I feel is a pretty good pick.